Thursday, January 30, 2014

A Few of my Favorite Things- supporting food and supplements

Can you guess what I mean by "supporting" food?  I just now thought of that term to describe three of my favorite things I consume on a regular basis.  Perhaps you have differing opinions on how healthy these foods are and I understand...do whatever works best for you (I'd welcome any comments you have!).  For me right now, these are some foods that help me not eat when I am not physically hungry and/or curb my want to just eat out of boredom (not advisable!). : )

Any ideas on the main ingredient of my 1st pick?

Yep, the coconut strikes again! I think I am the only one in my family who likes this stuff and yeah, I admit it's different, but there has to be some people who like Coconut Water or they wouldn't be selling it Costco right?

 My 2nd pick is gum.  I love gum and always have, but I don't love the aspartame, colors, artificial flavors, sugar, and other processed things that goes into most gums.  Yes, it is gluten free, but if I am going to have gum, this would be my first choice.  Made with Xylitol, this gum claims to help clean teeth instead of coat them with damaging ingredients.  I do admit the flavor doesn't last as long as other brands, but I love the simpler ingredient list: xylitol, gum base, natural flavors (pepperment oil), gum arabic, soy lecithin, clacium carbonate, beeswax (glazing agent). I do love the taste of some bursting peppermint.  Not a fan of spearmint, but I'll take peppermint any day!



 
Number 3 on my list is this supplement: Swanson's Soil-Based Organisms.  As I continue to try and support my body as it works to heal of my multiple food allergies/intolerances, I've been advised to take this supplement by my wonderful nutritionist.  It contains 72 trace minerals to help rebuild my the very depleted mineral level in my body.  I love that it is made from whole foods!  
You may think, why in the world would you need to take a supplement made with food when you could just eat those things?  Well, my nutritionist explained, and confirmed my learning, that because our soil is so depleted of these things like trace minerals it is necessary for us to sometimes supplement the minerals to help build up our bodies supply, especially when we are detoxing! This is just my opinion and just what I am learning.  I would always check with your doctor or nutritionist before starting any new supplement!

What about you?  What are some of your supporting foods?  What is your favorite indulgence?




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Honest Company Cleaning Products

Gaiam

Organic Bedding up to 40% OFF At Gaiam.com! Click Here!

Equal Exchange

Equal Exchange, Inc